- I'm still dating Jakey-poo (or "Jake", as I like to call him on normal days, OR "Jacob Dean Nelson-Johnson," as I like to call him when he's being a stinker). He's pretty great. Did you know he's graduating this year from Augsburg College? With a B.A. in Film because he's a a bad-ass.
- I still drop f-bombs like it's nobody's business because I believe that words are just words, and when you censor them, they retain their power. Also because the word "fuck," when properly placed, is more comical than anything.
- Grad school is HARD, yo--but so damn cool. I rocked last semester, too. I took Japanese S/N (P/F, for you Auggies), but even with that de-motivating factor, I still managed an A-. Which definitely isn't easy with Japanese at UMN. This semester, I'm taking the second semester of Intermediate Japanese (JPN 3022/4004), COMM 5615: Introduction to Rhetorical Criticism, and...another class I haven't picked yet. I was originally signed up for a course with our awesome DGS, but I went to the first class today and decided it might be a little too foundational for me, so instead, I'm considering this biggun: WRIT 8550: The Body as Text and Context in Law, Public Policy, and Medicine.
- Jake and I played a LOT of Minecraft since we got it in October. If you haven't played Minecraft, but liked Legos as a kid (or hell, even if you didn't like Legos as a kid), YOU NEED TO PLAY MINECRAFT. Trust me on this.
- I also have Skyward Sword (thanks, Mom and Bob!). Its awesomeness needs no further explanation.
- I went to Honolulu to present my undergrad International Relations thesis (on child pornography laws and cultural imperialism of media/sexuality norms) at the Japan Studies Association Conference. I got a ton of really positive feedback, so I've come back fired up to continue studying pornography and media law.
- Teaching is BOSS. I don't even care what happens to me in life. I could become a zebra (I hope at least some of you catch that reference) for all I care--as long as I get to teach on the side, I'll be happy.
- I have a cat named Carl and he is probably the greatest. Except for when he drinks...and when he poops. It's, like, his momma-cat never taught him good manners: He's always sloshing his water around (he used to tip his bowl over constantly, before Jake bought him an un-tippable bowl), and he doesn't seem to understand that the reason there's cat litter in his box is so he can cover up his poop. What a lazy sack of crap.
NOW PICTURES (ALL CAPS YEAH)
Me, Carl, Jake, Maggie, and Bob
Not all of Honolulu looks like this, but it's impressive that even a part of it does (Waikiki). It's like a fake place, it's so beautiful. I even swam in the ocean!...and got stung/scratched/bit by mystery creatures.
Ok, people. Go live your lives. And for the goddess' sake (SKYWARD SWOOOOORD), follow me on Facebook and Twitter to stay up-in-the-hizzouse with all my business.