Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I HAZ A HAMSTER

So, I'd been missing Per
pretty badly for a while.  And then my parents had to put down one of our family dogs, Sadie,


and our last family cat, Ernie,

at the same time.  So my life was beginning to become very pet-less and very pathetic.

So that's why I got Humbert!

Humbert is a roborovski hamster.  Robos are from Mongolia/Northern China, are omnivorous (You can feed them beef! How cool is that?), and are only about two inches long.

Humbert, in particular, is named after the unreliable narrator of Lolita, the controversial 1955 book about a middle-aged man who's sexually-involved with a twelve-year-old girl named Dolores Haze (nicknamed "Lolita").  Humbert is terrified of everything, suicidal (he jumped out of his house, off my desk, and onto the floor--he's lucky he didn't break his legs and/or back), ridiculously fast, and obsessed with his wheel.

I've had him only since Saturday, so there's still time for me to tame him (at least to the point where he doesn't feel like he needs to leap to his death).  In fact, last night, Jake helped me bring Humbert's house into the bathtub (robos aren't very good vertical climbers, and the "bathtub method" is a common one among robo owners) and tried to coax him into taking a piece of carrot from our fingers.  Humbert got pretty close to taking the carrot a couple times, and we counted that as a success.  This morning, I woke up to find Humbert actually sleeping outside his hidey-hole--a first since the night I brought him home (when he was so stressed, he fell asleep in one of the tubes).  Baby steps...

So, look forward to more Humbert stories/pics/vids/explanations of shenanigans in the future.  For now, enjoy these:

Sitting in one of his food bowls/eating.

Sleeping.  If it wasn't for his whiskers, I'd have no idea where his head was.

No comments: