Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Holy crap. I spoke at graduation. (And other news).

So, I super duper apologize for not posting for so long.  I got busy/lazy and never got around to it (save, my most recent post about needing to find a new perfect mug). 

Anyway, I thought I'd tell you two really important and exciting things that have happened to me in the last month and a half:

First, I officially graduated with a cumulative 4.0 GPA.  I am not kidding.  Yes, it feels good.  No, I am never going to put myself through that much stress again. 

Second, I was the graduating class of 2011's student commencement speaker.  I have several things to say about this before I show you the video: A) It was a HUGE honor, and I have a ton of people to thank, including, but not limited to, the faculty member(s) that nominated me, the Dean's office, and my peers who supported me throughout the speech-writing process.  B) The speech-writing process was pure hell.  Augsburg, you NEED to select the commencement speaker earlier than a month before the speech is due.  You might not see all the hours put into writing the thing, but that doesn't mean they're not there.  All in all, I spent probably close to thirty or forty hours brainstorming, writing, and rehearsing the speech.  That's not an easy time commitment for an already busy student (as I'm assuming most commencement speakers are) in the last semester of his/her senior year.  I can't imagine what it must be like for the commencement speakers who, unlike me, have not had any formal public speaking training.  Frankly, I feel bad for them.  C) Regardless of what I see as an inadequate amount of time given to speakers to prepare their remarks, the process was truly a ridiculous honor, and I'm humbled to have been given the opportunity to speak to my friends, family, and my peers.  Thank you all for your support.

So, here it is.  My commencement address.  I suggest you skip to 1:10:00, which is where our Jazz Band and Gospel Praise groups come in, performing "This Little Light of Mine."  I speak immediately after they finish, and seriously, if you don't start tapping your foot/dancing/having a good ol' time listening to that song, you are stupid.

No comments: