Monday, February 21, 2011

Some much-deserved updates for my lovely friends

Friends,

I have some news to share with you.  Some of it is fairly banal, part of my everyday existence.  Some of it is sure to shock the pants off of you.

x Mitch (my fiance of four years, and my boyfriend of five) and I have decided to remain best friends, but end our status as a couple.  That is, I am no longer engaged, nor am I in a romantic relationship at all.  As my friend Andrew and I like to joke, I haven't been single since Kirby Puckett died (seriously - he died in March of 2006, and that's when Mitch and I started dating), so I realize that this is somewhat of a shock to some people.  I want to assure my lovely readers that the breakup was mutual, and that we are on very good terms.  I am still living with Mitch and Tony in our three bedroom apartment (I now live in the "fun room"), though I plan to move out in June.  Per will stay with Mitch.

x I am now URGO's (Augsburg's Office of Undergraduate Research and Graduate Opportunity) first ever Student Coordinator for Zyzzogeton, Augsburg's research conference.  If you have any questions about submitting an abstract to the conference, let me know!

x I'm taking five classes: ENL 228 - Broadcast and Online Journalism, JAPN 212 - Intermediate Japanese II, HON 380 - Japanese Kanji (independent study through the Honors Program, otherwise known as a "Student Created Learning Experience"), POL 459 - Human Rights and Refugees, and HON 490 - Honors Program Keystone: Legacies of Chicago.

x I'm still waiting for my decision letter from the U of M.  My guess is, I'll hear back within the next three weeks.  I want to make it clear, now, that if I get in, there is going to be a lot of raucous partying.  And I am not ashamed to say that.  Frankly, I'll deserve it!

x I'll be submitting to the St. Thomas Undergraduate Communication Research Conference again this year.  Wish me luck!

x Other than school texts (of which there are too many to list, including some really fascinating works by Jane Addams), I'm currently reading the Loveless series (a whole lot of BL and not enough yaoi for me, at this point...and I never thought I'd be saying that), and Kafka on the Shore, by Haruki Murakami, a prolific Japanese author who also penned Norwegian Wood, one of my all-time favorite books.

x I am getting ever-closer to being able to afford my first tattoo.  I'd also like to do a boudoir photoshoot, get my belly-button pierced, and get a stomach tattoo, though those things will happen over the next several years.

x Another Scholarship Weekend has passed, and so has my participation in The Big Show, Augsburg's second annual Conan O'Brien-spinoff, performed for both current and prospective Auggies.  A shout-out to Topher, whom I probably embarrassed by telling the whole crowd that I have a crush on him, and to the Admissions staff and Bob Groven, who were thoughtful enough to bring me on as a sort-of "opener" for the second year in a row.  I really had a blast doing it!

That's all for now.  I'll leave you with these.  They're taped to the back of my desk/bookshelf, where I now do homework (I read that you should save your bed for strictly relaxing activities--that way, you'll subconsciously associate your bed with relaxation and fall asleep faster).  Call the quotes cheesy or whatever you want, but I like them.  And kudos to Lars Christiansen for the fire quote.  He said it the Monday before Mitch and I broke up, and I just felt like it was something I needed to hear.




2 comments:

Joshua McShane said...

Thanks for the updates, and good luck with things. Remember, you're awesome. <3

Danny said...

Sad to hear that, but i'm sure you will be fine! Time will heal the wounds.