Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Game Informer, law school, and Japanese

おはよう!  Good morning!

I have to catch the ACTC bus in about a half hour (it picks me up at Augsburg at 10:03 A.M.), but that's enough time to catch you all up on what I've been doing the last week or so.

First off: Mitch got into law school!  So far, he's been accepted at William Mitchell College of Law and Hamline University Law School.  He's got his deposit for William Mitchell all ready to be mailed, but he figures he should wait until he hears from St. Thomas before he commits to anything.  In any case, he can officially say he's going to law school next fall.  I've always been sort of "meh" about his decision to go.  On one hand, he has to take out a crap ton (more) in student loans, but on the other hand, even recently-graduated lawyers make a crap ton of money.  That is, if they do well enough in school to get into a good firm.  So I'll be Mitch's external conscience for the next four years, pushing him to do his homework even when he's too tired to keep his eyes open.  I support you, Mitch!


So what about me: Well, I'm officially a Japanese minor!  Of course, I still have to finish another two semesters (three, including this one) of language classes, and I have to take an independent study (some sort of cultural component) through St. Thomas, but I'm not too worried.  I'm about halfway to completion of the minor already (what, with my study abroad and independent study coursework).  So when everything is said and done, I'll have two majors and a minor.  Crazy!

Last thing for now: Guess what I did last Saturday?  Had coffee with Phil Kollar, Associate Editor of Game Informer!  For those unaware, Game Informer, a monthly video game magazine, has around 3 million subscribers.  That means more people subscribe to Game Informer than other bigwigs like Time, Sports Illustrated, Maxim, Cosmopolitan, and Newsweek.  So it's not exactly what you would call a niche publication (though, arguably, it appeals to a niche...a very, very large niche).  Anyway, I had coffee with Phil at the Common Roots Cafe on Lyndale.  We chatted about his path to Game Informer, grad school, politics, religion, and a slew of other things.  It was pretty darn cool.  Duh, right?

Game Informer's newly redesigned cover (this one featuring "Epic Mickey," a dark-ish game due out for the Wii in Fall 2010)

ACTC bus time! 


じゃまた! Later!

No comments: