Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pikachu, thunderbolt!

Today's title has nothing to do with the actual entry--except maybe I think of Pokemon when I'm in a good mood (I like Pokemon), and I just so happen to be in a good mood.

Simply put, my luck has, as I predicted, started to turn around. Though my car and computer are both broken, my overall outlook is looking up.
Taking a job with Shades of Yellow, doing market research, has turned out to be one of the best choices I've made my whole college career. It's really opened up a new field to me, and I'm pleasantly surprised that I enjoy it--researching, in-depth, people and clinics, to help SoY expand into services helping a specific group of people--it's neat. I'm not having nearly as much luck as my fellow employee (who is in charge of the more LGBT-focused groups--I've got most of the hospitals and the Hmong-specific organizations), but it's been a great experience. My contract was even extended for another week, so I'm making some much-appreciated extra bucks. And next weekend, I, along with some choice pals, am heading to Wisconsin for SoY's leadership retreat.

Today was my first official Day Student Government meeting as Chief of Staff. I enjoy my new role already, though I can tell it's going to be a lot of work. I suppose I've always sort of liked it that way, though. I'm a workhorse.


I've also been doing a lot of Homemade planning as well. We're looking to expand into social media, so Lily and I took to Christensen Center during SOAR (that's the first-year summer orientation) and surveyed approximately seventy incoming students. We collected some interesting data, and I'm excited to start the implementation phase...

I'm also busy applying for internships for the fall semester. And when I say internships, I mean a lot of internships. There are a couple I'm very interested in, and one I would kill for (what a violent phrase!), but I've learned from my mistakes and don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I won't hear back from my top choice for at least another week (the person in charge is on vacation), but most internship deadlines aren't until the middle of August or even late August, so I'll be antsy for a while. Wish me luck!

Tomorrow, the gang is coming over (sans Katie, who is on vacation with her family) for grilled steak and watermelon. I'm also baking a cake, and Alan and I are going to celebrate Harry Potter's birthday (Mitch likes Harry Potter a lot, too, but isn't quite as nerdy as we are). Harry will be twenty-nine years old (he was born in 1980). It's always a little confusing to think about that, because of when the books were released (I graduated with Harry Potter, who was seventeen in the seventh book, and that was published in 2007). Of course, Harry Potter is a fictional character, but I don't really think about that. Tomorrow is also J.K. Rowling's birthday, so I suppose we'll also celebrate her as well. After all, without Rowling, there would be no Harry Potter, no Severus Snape, no Rubeus Hagrid, no Albus Dumbledore...

No comments: