Thursday, July 16, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Of course I went to the midnight premiere! After all, I saw the first two films on their premiere days, and since the third (Prisoner of Azkaban), I've gone at midnight. I grew up with Harry Potter, so did you expect any less?

Here are some pics from that night:

Me (center), Lily, and Alan in the apartment, watching Prisoner of Azkaban before heading to the theater. Lily and Alan donned Ravenclaw gear; I wore Slytherin.

Lily read us trivia questions from the "Sorcerer's Stone Trivia Game." We got to the theater at 9 P.M., so we would have been pretty bored otherwise.

Alan showing us his nerd-face

Me (far-right), Alan, Mitch, and Lily. Mitch is dressed as a Muggle (non-magic folk, of course). He's no fun.

I try not to think about there being only two more Harry Potter midnight premieres in my life.

Oh, and I suppose I should say what I thought of the film:
First and foremost, I think, it's important to read the books before seeing this film. And I say this recognizing the fact that some people haven't read the books before seeing the first few films--so be it. But Half-Blood Prince moves at too fast a pace, I believe, for non-readers to keep up.
For devoted readers, on the other hand, Half-Blood Prince proves to be well-crafted. I like to keep in mind that film is very different from literature, and conveying ideas and events on the big screen is sometimes much harder to do than on paper. I say this because a number of events in the film differ drastically from the events in the book--the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, for example--but I deal. I understand.
As it should, the trio's (Rupert Grint's, Emma Watson's, and Dan Radcliff's) acting has improved in Half-Blood Prince. Alan Rickman returns in full enunciated glory, and Michael Gambon stops playing Dumbledore like he's an angry at the world.
All-in-all, Half-Blood Prince is easily the best Harry Potter film yet. It sets up Deathly Hallows (the 7th and final installment) well, and does nicely on its own. There are, of course, flaws, but none too aggravating.

No comments: