Sunday, July 5, 2009

Backward deus ex machina, you can't keep me down!

With my last entry in mind (Lady Luck can be a bitch), you should read this New York Times piece by Alex Williams. It's about all the other U.S. students who have the exact same problem I do: We're smart, hardworking, and willing, but unable to land a job (especially an intellectually-stimulating job) or an internship--anywhere. And how, unable to find anything, we're stuck at home doing nothing--for what seems like the first time in our lives. As members of the Millennials or Generation Y, we grew up being told that, as long as we put our minds to it, and as long as we worked hard, we would do well--we would make money--we would be successful (the "American Dream," right?). And so we crammed in extracurricular activities and AP classes, believing that if we kept it up, someday we'd be rewarded. And we're finding that it was all a big lie. It doesn't matter what we do, because a backward deus ex machina came out of nowhere and fucked up all our plans and our dreams.

Do well in school? Hold leadership positions? Got a great smile? Oh well, you're still not getting an internship.

No, I don't actually believe that. It's just what it feels like. And it makes me feel better that I'm not the only frustrated student out there.

Though it's emotionally hard to do right now, I'm going to keep busting my butt. Even though I work, at most, five to six hours a week, and I didn't get any of the dozens of internships I applied for, I'm going to keep reading books about Japanese politics, and writing op-eds for game websites, and researching gender issues, because damn it, I've come this far and I'm not giving up.

This college student is wearing a smile while reading her textbooks, but I prefer war-paint.

1 comment:

Media Mentions said...

Speaking of the workforce frustration, check this one out: http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/showlink.aspx?bookmarkid=CMHQZQ79R2Q5&preview=article&linkid=71df2fa8-1da8-4303-ab0e-c098481d1b9f&pdaffid=ZVFwBG5jk4Kvl9OaBJc5%2bg%3d%3d

Unbelievable,
MediaMentions