Thursday, March 26, 2009

My fall 2009 schedule

After much deliberation, I've figured out what class is going to fill my fourth spot in next fall's schedule. I want everyone to know, though, that this is the first time I've ever had trouble deciding what to take. So far, I've had a pretty painless scheduling process. I don't know why you needed to know that.
Anyway, here's what Ali will be up to next fall:

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (9:35-10:40 A.M.) - JAPN 111 (Elementary Japanese) with Michiko Dressen, at St. Thomas: Mastering 46 hiragana alphabets. Introduction to basic sentence structures, particles, polite forms of verbs, and simple kanjis.
NOTE: Yes, I know I've taken Japanese before. But I've forgotten just about everything except hiragana and basic phrases like "つかれた," so I'm retaking it, plus three more semesters, as is required for my International Relations major.

Tuesdays and Thursdays (9:40-11:10 A.M.) - POL 158 (Political Patterns and Processes) with Elizabeth Klages: An analysis of basic patterns in the political system and decision-making process with some comparison of major political systems and discussion of contemporary issues.

Tuesdays and Thursdays (11:50-1:20 P.M.) - HIS 332 (History of United States Foreign Relations) with Jeffrey Kolnick: A survey of United States foreign relations from the American Revolution through the Cold War, emphasizing changing definitions of war and peace, tensions between internationalism and isolationism, and the emergence of the United States as an economic and military power.

Tuesdays and Thursdays (1:30-3:00 P.M.) - COM 321 (Business and Professional Speaking) with Bob Groven: This course explores advanced issues in public address including delivery and performance, vocal control, persuasion, audience adaptation, argument construction, and speaker credibility. The class uses a series of speeches, ranging from impromptu speaking and persuasion to job interviewing and sales presentations, in order to hone students' speaking skills.

Sundays (4:00-5:30 P.M.) - HON 250 (Junior Colloquium: The Scholar as Leader) with President Paul Pribbenow: Meets twice each semester.
I have no idea what this will entail. It's a required course in the Honors Program curriculum.

My Tuesdays and Thursdays are going to be absolutely hellish, but what's new?

No comments: