Thursday, February 19, 2009

This week, I learned...

I think "this week, I learned" should become a regular (obviously, weekly) post on No, I Am a Cat. Here's the first installment:
  • Lampreys are largely to blame for the decline of commercial fishing in the Great Lakes.
  • Japan, Norway, and Iceland hunt whales legally for research (under Article VIII of the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling).
  • People get fevers because a raised body temperature impairs bacteria growth.
  • At the current U.S. consumption and production levels, the earth can support only 2.5 billion people.
  • Globalization and free-trade are not bad things. The real problem is, the U.S. benefits mainly from producing goods made from high-skilled workers (such as microchips), but we haven't re-trained and educated our population to make these things, so few people are reaping the overwhelming benefits of trade.
  • The Hawthorne Effect refers to how people act when they're being researched--that is, they act differently than they normally would.
Of course, I learned many more things, but I'm not going to pretend like I don't remember some bits more than others.

No comments: