Friday, February 27, 2009

Ocarina of Time: Red-Blood Version

Part of this post stems from my total lack of radio shows lately (I'm supposed to DJ a KAUG radio show titled You're a Nerd every Sunday, but haven't done the mandatory re-training in yet) and I feel a bit bad about that, and part of it stems from me refusing to get off the computer because the bottom is warm, and I just spent what seemed like forever walking home in the glaring cold from Sawatdee, a Thai restaurant downtown.

Anyway, the post: check out this website (see below). I should warn you that only Zelda fans will find it at all interesting--but if you do happen to be a Zelda fan (and if you're not, you should be)--this site will probably be very, very cool. It explains the differences between the first version of the Ocarina of Time cartridge and later versions; the most well-known difference is the color of Gandondorf's/Ganon's blood. You see, in version 1.0, his blood is red--which turned out to be a no-no for U.S. audiences--and was subsequently changed to green.
Oh, and just so you know, I'm passionately on the lookout for a "red-blood" cartridge. If you've got a legitimate "red-blood" cartridge, I'll pay decent money for it.

The site.

Another difference--follow the link above to find out more!

EDIT: Here's another good site, with some nice visual comparisons. It's also got audio of the Fire Temple's theme, which was changed from version 1.0 to 1.2. The reason? In versions 1.0 and 1.1, the song featured Islamic chants, which angered a Muslim organization. Although I understand Nintendo's reasons for taking the chanting out of later versions (a show of sensitivity, which is to be applauded), I think the first version (with chanting) has much more depth. It's very eerie, which I suppose is in itself a little strange, considering the chanting was probably supposed to convey a sense of the sacred, originally.

2 comments:

David said...

just look on ebay for the gold cartridge ocarina of time. that is the v1 with red blood.

David said...

just look on ebay for the gold cartrige ocarina of time. that is the v1 with red blood.