Monday, January 12, 2009

Praise Okuni! Theater of the common people

Classes resuuuuuuuumed!

I saw Amber today! Oh jeez, it was exciting. I hadn't seen her since she came back to the states (Amber studied in Bali last semester). And then, as I was leaving Nabo, which is a coffee shop in Gateway Center, I saw her coming down the stairs. I wasn't quite sure that it was her at first, but when I realized it was, I ran absolutely screaming to her. I then, of course, realized that I was screaming and probably blushed a little. We chatted while I walked to work and she walked to class. I missed Amber!

Guess what else I did today? I started my SCLE, which stands for Student Created Learning Experience. As some of my readers know, last semester, I drafted a proposal to study gender-representation in Kabuki, which is a traditional form of Japanese theater. It official title is "Gender Representation in the Kabuki Theater: The Onnagata." Onnagata are men who play women's roles. Anyway, at 3:30, I booked it to the library where I picked up my waiting book (I had it ordered from a "partner" school, since Augsburg didn't have it--one of the many benefits of attending Augsburg). I then nearly ran to my room, mostly because it was snowing furiously, and began to read my first "textbook," which is really just a compilation of essays on the history/performance aspects of Kabuki. It's called A Kabuki Reader, and as I realized about a paragraph in, it's very dry. It's the type of book that was obviously written by a scholar who feels the need to be very flamboyant and pompous with his language. It's incredibly interesting, though. And thankfully, the authorship jumps around (being a compilation of essays and all), so who knows? maybe the next author won't speak like he's trying to sound way more intelligent than his audience.

The cover of my first SCLE book

I feel like I'm already much smarter about Kabuki. Before, all I'd ever done is see a Kabuki performance at the Kabuki-za, which is Tokyo's highest-respected Kabuki theater. So I guess that's not really an "all I'd ever done"--it's more like a "holy hannah! I've seen a performance at the Kabuki-za!" but in all humility and honesty, I didn't know much about the history of the art-form. But now I do! I like to learn.

The Kabuki-za

Here's my Monday(s) schedule:
10:20 A.M.-12:20 P.M.: Work at the Communication Studies desk
3:40 P.M.-5:10 P.M.: Gender Representation in the Kabuki Theater: The Onnagata
5:30 P.M.-8:30 P.M.: Tutor in the Speakers Lab

So Mondays aren't bad at all. In fact, I have a pretty enjoyable, somewhat laid-back schedule on Mondays. Which is good, considering the ugliness that is my Tuesdays:
8:00 A.M.-11:00 A.M.: Science, Technology, and Citizenship Lab
11:50 A.M.-1:20 P.M.: Science, Technology, and Citizenship (the regular class)
1:30 P.M.-3:00 P.M.: The Modern Non-Western World
6:00 P.M.-9:00 P.M.: International Economics

Ew, right?

1 comment:

corywins said...

What? Really? Wow!

I was actually considering writing my senior comps project on this topic. Haha. Maybe this is why we're friends.