Thursday, January 1, 2009

Our Mutual Joy

Check out this piece from Newsweek's December 15, 2008 issue:

No more bigotry!


It's called "Our Mutual Joy," and the issue's cover is titled "The Religious Case for Gay Marriage." And although I don't entirely agree with Lisa Miller's take on the solution to the gay marriage issue, it's an interesting piece that I'm sure many of my readers will enjoy.
The reason I don't entirely agree with her take on the issue is that I feel there should either be marriage for all or civil unions (or whatever you want to call them) for all. I don't think marriage should be a state-regulated er, thing, and at the same time remain subject to pressure from a/the religious community. And, I suppose, religious communities should be free from government intervention in their traditions.
If I, as a heterosexual, can get married without incorporating religion into the event (which is what Mitch and I are going to do--we're not going to be married in a church, or by a priest, or anything like that), then gays should have the right to marry as well (without incorporating religion). Of course, as we know, that is not the case in most states. Therefore, we should either make marriage totally state-regulated (and therefore, in theory, totally equal), or give "marriage" to the religious groups, and instead, re-name and designate the state-regulated and state-recognized event "civil unions," or "state-recognized partnerships," or whatever.

Of course, there are many, many more factors to take into consideration, but this is the base of my belief on the issue--which, as many of my readers may know, I like to think of as my issue--the one I take the most passionate action on.

So that's that. I have more issues of Newsweek to catch up on before bed. :)

No comments: