Monday, August 18, 2008

Until next time, Japan

Here I am, back in the United States, with a few things on my mind:

The U.S. is louder than Tokyo. Tell me it's impossible, but believe me, it's louder.

Anyway, I woke up about a half hour ago, which puts my total sleep time at about twelve hours. Whoops! I took sleeping pills last night so I could actually fall asleep, but it seems I didn't account for waking up at a reasonable time. At least I have a few weeks to push through the jet lag before school starts.

I took my finals a couple days ago. I whizzed through Business and Management's final in about twenty minutes, but the Japanese final kicked my tush. I finished it, nothing was left blank, but I know that there will be lots of red ink on my test.
In my frustration, I walked down to the CIEE office and told Michelene, our Resident Director, how I felt. She said I'm right to feel this way (as if I can't generate Japanese worth anything). She said she didn't learn Kanji until her second year of Japanese, whereas we've already learned sixty characters. She told me that as long as I keep in practice this next semester, and give myself a bit of time to internalize and memorize the things I've learned, I'll be fine.
I hope so.

Now, it's time for me to shower and then sift through the goodies I brought home.

No comments: