Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Fading fears

I gave two awesome tours today. The second was for a soon-to-be first-year, who's accepted, but has never seen the campus. Apparently, she's part of the third generation in her family to attend Augsburg. A legacy, how neat!

Barack has started speaking to the religious left (and I suppose the religious right as well) about how he plans to take the faith-based programs Bush started and continue them, but in a more practical and concrete way, by allowing groups to access federal money that would go toward programs helping neighborhoods, children in need, and so on. I can't say I'm particularly happy about this, but at least he's not overturning the law banning organizations from hiring/firing based on religion. I'd have to pack up my things and get the heck on out of here.

In light of some recent, interesting polls on Bush's approval ratings, the "War on Terror" (mostly made-up fights with the whole Middle East), and the imminence of a terrorist attack, I'd like to ask you a rhetorical question: Honestly, do you feel as if a terrorist attack could strike the U.S. in the next several weeks?
I'm not sure what my answer is. Sure, I believe that nearly anything is possible and the threat of a terrorist attack is always present (I learned from 9/11), but I don't wish to dwell on that fact. I don't like living in fear.
I can't wait for a President to take office who doesn't rely on fear.

No comments: