Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Color Seafoam

I started reading Barack's book, The Audacity of Hope, tonight. It's every bit as good as I hoped it would be (and more). If you like listening to him speak, you'll like reading his thoughts. And when I say listening to him speak, I mean the whole shebang: his public speaking ability, what he talks about, the way he approaches his speeches. I don't know about you, but I feel inspired every time he opens his mouth. Or gives the "looking to the future" look, as The Onion called it.
The prologue was fantastic. He wrote about his faults, his biases, and his mistakes. It takes a very special, very mature person to publicly declare what he or she has done wrong.
In the first chapter, Barack wrote about the evolution of modern Republicans and Democrats, and how both parties are incredibly ignorant of reality: both are polarizing to each other, Americans, and their own party. He ended the chapter by saying Republicans and Democrats need to catch up with Americans--that not all Americans are strictly one party or the other, and they definitely do not want politics to work like that.

Naturally, I played Mario Kart earlier.. I tried to get in on races with Mom, but the silly Wii wouldn't let me. Apparently, all her races had twelve people, but that made me wonder why she wouldn't join mine. I called her after I gave up and turned off the system, only to find out she'd just quit her race and was about to come into mine.


Mitch and I were supposed to go out to Murphy Park and play catch when he got home from work, but it was raining.

Oh! I also finished Classic Fairy Tales. The last story was The Little Mermaid. My verdict: it's as depressing as I'd read on Wikipedia. The beginning is very similar to the well-known Disney version, but the second half of the story is totally different. It certainly shocked me--and I had warning (Rusalka, the opera Cherish took me to see, was a sort-of Little Mermaid story).

I wish there were more fairy tales to read. I'll just have to get along with The Audacity of Hope (which won't be an issue) and Aesop's Fables, which are always a neat treat.

No comments: