Tuesday, May 20, 2008

To feel strong

No. NO NO NO.
Into the Wild is marvelous. Beautiful, poignant, enlightening, and in the end of it all, incredibly tragic. Or, at least, from one perspective (the perspective that counts in my head).
The stupid thing is making me cry just thinking about it. It surely doesn't help that I have the main title screen still on the TV, so I'm being exposed to images of the main character as well as the music perhaps least likely to make me happy at any given point in my life.

I started Peter Pan today. The real Peter Pan (the original Peter Pan and Wendy, published in 1911). It's wonderful, although the tenses and points of view used are sometimes confusing. Much to my surprise, I'm realizing that the live-action movie with Jeremy Sumpter is relatively faithful to the original text. Which on one hand, makes me appreciate the movie more, but on the other, I keep seeing images of Jeremy in my head, rather than my imagination's image of Peter Pan.
I've always found that to be one of the most fun effects of reading: that characters are wholly created in one's mind. I mean, sure, dialogue is, for the most part, a product of the author and the writing, but other than descriptive phrases, all physical and deep emotional characteristics are created by the reader. Think fan fiction.

Kristen and I finished painting the squad room/speaker's lab this morning! We met at 8:30 and finished at ten, just in time for her meeting with Bob. I chatted a bit with Bob about Japan before they had coffee; we also shared a little understanding with each other (in that we do an incredibly ridiculous amount of things in the day, yet we enjoy it all deep down).
Of course, not all things are enjoyable all the time, but for the most part, there's something very rewarding about doing well, or at least feeling like one's done well.
It reminds me of the time he said "I was on the speech team mainly because I liked to receive large shiny things as proof of accomplishment." The quote is a little hazy, so it's not absolutely direct, but it went something like that.

Somebody on my floor has horrible cooking skills. The whole afternoon and evening, it smelled disgusting--even in the bedroom! I eventually called DPS and told them of the stench (at the time, I didn't know what it was, and it's safety first to notify important people when there are weird things happening--even strange smells).

"John McCain’s chief media adviser said Tuesday he is stepping down rather than campaign against Barack Obama...In a 2007 interview with Cox News, McKinnon said he would vote for McCain, but "I just don't want to work against an Obama candidacy." He added that if Obama were to reach the White House, it "would send a great message to the country and the world."
--CNN Political Ticker

Cool. :)

No comments: