Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Am I Odysseus?

I went to Mitch's band concert tonight. I've realized that as it's been less than a year since I've been in band, I feel inclined to not enjoy other band concerts--instead, I critique them. Heavily and somewhat cruelly. Of course, this isn't to say I didn't enjoy the concert; it was a grand ol' time as any band concert should be, but my notes (for my required concert review) turned out purely judgmental. I wrote lots about tuning, tempo, and articulation.
I emailed Nancy when I got back to the room to make sure my non-emotional notes would be all right for a concert review, and she said yes; so I typed them up and admired my handiwork for a while.

The rest of today was all right. Effective Writing wasn't anything particularly great; we got off topic quite a bit, which is the best part of any class. Liberating Letters was interesting; we finished discussing the constitution and the Civil Rights Act of 1968. With about fifteen minutes left of class, Bob sat down on a table. I was shocked! I've never seen Bob do anything close to sitting during a lecture, and yet there he was. I soon realized he intended to start a somewhat solemn discussion about acts of racism that we've experience firsthand.

Think about a time you've seen a valid act of racism. Was it in school? What ages were the instigator and the victim?
Share your stories with me.

I also realized that "reverse discrimination" does not exist; it is a phrase created by the majority (whites) who assumed that "normal discrimination" is when whites discriminate against others.
FALSE. There is no such thing as "normal discrimination" and "reverse discrimination;" there is only discrimination.

There's a piece about Zyzzogeton on Augnet right now; it makes me want to participate. However, as I have no research to present, and of course the festival has already started, my chances are looking grim. Maybe next year? Or maybe my junior year, when I have lots of neat research about the conference I hope to attend?

Bob informed us that the Honors Senior Seminar is not only required, we have to write a thesis for it! Do you know what this means? I may have to write THREE THESES!!
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

This morning marked the beginning of end-of-semester crunch time for me. Do you know what next Thursday looks like for me? I have two tests--one in Effective Writing and one in Liberating Letters, the final Effective Writing paper due, and the defense's (I'm on the defense) case. Additionally, I might have an Interpersonal Comm. presentation. All of this is in ONE DAY.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Not to mention I have one more studio class to do, 25 hours of choir concerts this weekend, an opera to go to with Cherish Thursday (darn birthday presents), an Interpersonal Comm. research paper due Thursday, ELP graduation next Tuesday, and five finals a week and a half from now. FIVE FINALS. Most people aren't even taking five classes! I have a final in Effective Writing, Lib. Letters, Small Group Comm., Interpersonal Comm., and a jury (which counts as a final...I will smash whoever disagrees with me).
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(



I must end on a positive note. Ooh! How about that David signed off on an add-form to let me get into Argumentation, even though I don't have the pre-reqs completed? Yes, that'll do.
I also registered for my other classes: MicroEcon, The Scholar Scientists, and Honors Religion 200. Hoorah.

No comments: