Saturday, March 29, 2008

Horace: ball not horse

Cherish invited me to an opera! I mean to say, she emailed me and told me I could come with her if she flew back to Minneapolis to see it. The opera's titled Rusalka; it's based on The Little Mermaid (but not the happy Disney version--the real one). Do you want me to spoil the ending of the real Little Mermaid? I didn't think so. I'll just let you in on a little secret about it: the ending is a more complete and realistic mirror of love.
I may have mentioned this before, but just in case: a while back, we (meaning my Effective Writing class) read an article on the effects of modern-day fairy tales and their effects on children. A certain bit of research has shown that young girls who read princess stories (the Disney kind--where the princess and prince or whoever end up together) are more likely to become victims of domestic violence as adults. A strange study, but it seems like a legit outcome. Bob Groven reads his children real fairy tales: the ones where main characters die, where everyone is poor, and where people are tortured physically or emotionally with no positive ending. I admire him for that.
Something of note I just now thought of: Children now, children from our generation (us), and children before us witness incredible amounts of violence on TV, in music, and everywhere else. But these new, fruity fairy tales all end with equally fruity endings--regardless of the violence between the beginnings and endings. Is that a sort of unconscious way for the media to justify its violent storylines: by showing that even if people get hurt, everything always turns out all right? Which of course is not true.

Hmm...

So anyway, Tony, Brian, Katie, Mitch, and I went out to eat at Applebees in Roseville tonight. We'd planned on eating at Buffalo Wild Wings, but there was an hour and a half wait, so we tossed that idea out and headed a few minutes away to a still-good-if-not-as-novel place. The whole time we were there, I kept thinking "I wish I would have made a basketball bracket." That's all we talked about, and I certainly do not enjoy having nothing to add to conversation.

Mitch bought I Am Legend (mistakenly, however, not the special edition with the new ending), and we (the whole dinner gang) watched it. Being the third time I've seen it, the suspenseful scenes were less "OH MY GOD," but the movie as a whole still has a great impact on me. I think about what it would be like not having anybody to carry on conversation with. How terrible. Will Smith's performance in many areas of that movie brings me to tears: talking to the mannequin, strangling his dog...It's such a moving film. His latest stints have been wonderful; he's really matured his acting style.

Tomorrow I work to make up hours since I didn't work anywhere over spring break. I'll give you all the juicy details of what I'm sure will be an incredibly thrilling work day tomorrow in the next entry of No, I Am a Cat.

No comments: