Thursday, February 21, 2008

Tator tot (cold dishes)

Today was all over the place.
I had voice lessons at 2:20--but before that I skipped Foundations of Fitness (to sleep an extra hour; I emailed Michael-my professor-to let him know), went to Small Group Communication (and played Monopoly!), and worked.
Voice lessons went pretty well this time: we talked about the election and how we detest Clinton for making such ridiculously feeble attacks against Barack and expecting them to be both valid and useful. I didn't get reemed on the whole lesson; and, despite being a little dry, my voice was good. I really enjoy the song I'm working on now--it's easier for me to sing than the previous song, and it has a nice piano part to compliment my voice (or hide mistakes, however you want to interpret that).
Scholarship Weekend is creeping up on me. I emailed Amy tonight to tell her where I'll be on Friday/Saturday and what I'll be doing. I told her I'll be available for the student to "hang with" on Friday night should she so choose, but I won't be sleeping in the room, nor will I be there that morning to act as an alarm clock: I have to watch luggage (/do homework/play Pokemon).
It's too bad Tyler forgot to bring me Emerald version; I haven't played it yet and so wish to. I don't like Groudon (he's a lame legendary)...although the story behind him and the method to retrieve him is pretty neat. I can't remember what that island was called, but I can remember that it was weird and unprecedented. I once played the game (Ruby) to the town made out of trees but then stopped--so I've only beaten the game once.

I mailed my scholarship application today! I'm upset that the mail room doesn't take cards--because that means I have to take $20 out of the ATM to pay $1 to mail something, but I didn't have a choice. Now I have to wait 'til the first week of May to find out if I received anything. That makes me sad--I initially thought scholarships were awarded on a rolling basis, but I must have just made that up.

I greatly underestimated the amount of homework I had to do tonight. Mitch, Charles, and I ate in the cafeteria, and then I went back up to the room and cleaned a bit (washed the dishes, vacuumed, made the bed), and then turned on CNN and my computer to watch for political news and talk to Mom (who was finally online!). I sprawled my homework out on the bed, but, thinking I didn't have much to do, really put it off until about eight--at which I realized I had homework not only in Effective Writing, but in Liberating Letters as well (I had to read the introduction to and scene nine of Galileo, as well as take notes on what version the play is and when it was written). So I ended up doing homework until about 10:20--so here I am, blogging--incredibly upset with myself for putting off doing the work. I'm ashamed with myself: I had much more time than this last sememster to do things I wanted to do because I got all my homework done by nine or ten. Now, I'm doing it until eleven. Granted, I do have more meetings and more individual things to attend to (such as study abroad stuffs and the EPal project), but still. C'mon, Alison. You can do better than ten-thirty or eleven. Get some time to play Galaxy or read!

Tomorrow is the Texas Democratic Debate and more homework--so it will be extremely hard for me to get both done at the same time.


I'd like to hear your opinions on sex education in schools. I'm doing my next Effective Writing paper on the issue, and while I have my own opinions, I'd like to know others (the "common view"). Understanding other viewpoints helps me prepare to debunk or explore them in my paper.
Mostly, I'm interested in the effects (or lack thereof) of abstinence training versus contraceptive education.

1 comment:

Kristen Chamberlain said...

I think that sex education in schools should definitely teach more than just abstinence. I think adults need to be realistic and understand that teenagers (and younger, sometimes!) are going to do things that adults don't approve like. You can't monitor your children all the time. And if you do somehow manage it during high school, you certainly can't once college starts. The option that remains is to prepare you children to make the best choices they can when confronted with these situations. And help them understand the consequences of their actions.