Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sweetheart cheese

Effective Writing today was hilarious. Colin announced his plans for the class: "Today is going to be really bad. Nothing I have to say is worth your time." When Ashley turned off her iPod and went to put it away, he said "No need to do that. Go ahead and listen to it." When Jon answered a text message, Colin stopped and said "I'd answer it too if I were you. I'm incredibly boring."
Overall, it turned out to be a decent class period. He wasn't all that bad. He's just a kook.
We successfully convinced him to push the due date of our next paper back a class period: we told him since this weekend is Scholarship Weekend (and most of us first years are incredibly involved), and since we're behind in Liberating Letters (and the two classes are tied together), it's in everybody's best interests--including his--to push the due date back. Woohoo. :)

This semester is ridiculously busy. Watashi wa iso-idei mas! I am in a hurry. All the time. Don't even get me started on tomorrow, when starts the topsy-turvy Scholarship Weekend here on campus.

A lady from Hecua came into Liberating Letters today to talk about serving in the U.S. and abroad. She mentioned a few neat sounding programs, but of course I've chosen another path and certainly cannot do the things she introduced. Even if I wasn't doing Japan--doing service in South America is just not something I see myself doing. Service elsewhere, sure--maybe in Eastern Europe or India, but not South America. It's just never been my type of culture; although, I do like Jose and the way he explains his country's (Argentina's) festivals and other cultural events.

I did homework all evening again tonight. I'm sick of it. I want time for myself! This wish simply will not happen, however, for quite a while.
Oh, don't let me forget to download the stuff needed to print on campus printers without hooking up to them. That way, I can print off all the fliers I make for QSU (and thus preserving my use of awesome fonts).

I have more things to do tonight: wash the dishes, have enough time to get ready so I can get to sleep at a decent time...
Give me support--I'll need it this weekend.

One more thing: the Texas Democratic Debate was tonight. I feel that neither candidate won: Hillary, in order to win, had to cream Barack, but she didn't. Barack, in order to win, had to become superhuman, and only people like Superman are superhuman. So neither won. There were, of course, high and low points for both candidates (based on their strengths, weaknesses, and in Hillary's case, awkward and disastrous comments--"[It's] not change you can believe in, it's change you can Xerox." I'm so happy she got booed. She truly deserved it.

No comments: