Saturday, February 9, 2008

Gaiden boxes and wolves

I'm hooooooooooooooome.
All the animals were happy to see me, and of course, the feeling was reciprocated. Ernie cuddled with me for a few minutes, I ran outside to see Sadie and Boris, pet Bunny for a minute, and then saw Maggie in the bathroom (she was getting a bath).
Mom made dinner tonight--we had chili, and blueberry/strawberry smoothies. Delicious!
After dinner, she played Majora's Mask while I read my newest copy of EGM. It wasn't the most spectacular issue, but there will still, of course, hilarious pieces.
Tomorrow Bob is coming home and Tyler comes over. I'll give him the Phantom Hourglass guide that came in the mail for me (it was supposed to go to him, as I got him the Nintendo Power subscription for Christmas).
Yesterday I discussed the history of the step-mother motif in fairy tales. One of my readers commented on the Brothers Grimm stories which were not as they're portrayed today. What I didn't know, however, is that the collection of the Brothers Grimm were restricted to sixth-eighth grade students at an Arizona elementary school because they included "excessive violence, negative portrayals of female characters, and anti-semetic references (Delete Censorship.org).
Restricting the use of those books to "older" children defeats the original purpose of those tales. How ridiculous.
If you're interested in the issue of censorship, deletecensorship.org is a decent resource for learning about which books have been censored, why, and what you can do about it.
I hope to use the site to print off a list of all the books they have on record as being censored, and read them this summer. Even the children's books, as they can be as influential to literature and the way children interpret life as books like The Catcher in the Rye and A Clockwork Orange.

If you want a good laugh, give the Traditional Values Coalition website a lookover. It only takes a second to find hilarious and obnoxiously, obviously false content.

No comments: