Thursday, February 7, 2008

Cherry cordial meetings

This week is full; so much to do. But it's all right: I can do it with skill and style!

I'll start with today: today was the celebration of the Chinese New Year (of the rat) at Augsburg. A Lion Dance was performed in the commons. It was so fascinating. I'm in awe of the beauty of the event: its fluid motions, excitable drum beats, and dynamic colors--all are mixed and displayed in such a way that despite (or perhaps in addition to) my fascination, I also felt a small and strange fear. If you've never seen one performed, I strongly recommend you do so. Immediately (or preferably at the next Chinese New Year celebration).
I regret to say I didn't take any pictures--the camera was up in Mitch's room and I was in Admissions, working, and couldn't run up to get it. Oh geeze, I wish I could have though.

My new phrase for today is "Watashi wa onaka ga suki mashta." It means "I'm hungry."

I was informed today that both David Lapakko and Kristen read No, I Am a Cat. How exciting!

I definitely did not get enough sleep last night. Mitch, as we were getting into bed, told me I was being pushy about his health. So, us both being too tired to pragmatically assess the issue, blew it completely out of proportion and were kept up for about an extra half hour--making the time we actually went to sleep somewhere around 12:30--a far cry from my usual eleven (I ended up being stuck with homework until about 11:45--the latest I've been up doing homework all year). I've gotta get back into doing it in time to get to bed early. Getting little sleep does nothing for my productivity and health. I notice it when I work out in the morning: I have no physical energy to do the exercises. I'm also a little crankier.

How's this for bizarre: I critiqued two speeches by Virginia Biorn this morning at the request of Kristen. If that name resonates with you, it's because she was in speech. She was that girl--the redhead--in extemp. reading--she was the Section Champ who didn't make it into finals at State. That girl.
I'm not talking about Red Suit Girl. She had brown hair. I'm talking about the red-head.
I learned something today about this meeting occurrence, which I'll elaborate on in my Interpersonal Comm. blog, but basically: nothing is as it seems, or as you think it should be.

My feet smell.

As part of my attempt to discuss the usual controversial/surprising/interesting topics when I first reach or think of them, I'll begin with this:
The step-mother motif found in old fairy tales refers to the common event of one or both parents and what that meant for children in ancient times: that, when a parent or parents died, the children were often sent to live with other relatives. Well, "blood" was a large part of family and relations, and so children that were not directly linked through parentage, etc. were often given less concern, care, or love. And so, the step-mother motif was created to inconspicuously illustrate this to children--to perhaps teach or warn them of its high possibility.

I find explanations of fairy tales like this particularly interesting because to this day, tales like or parallel to them are found in our culture. Think about a few fairy tales you were told as a child. Think of how they have been altered from their original, ancient forms. What does that mean to you? What does it imply about the generation and culture you were raised in?

1 comment:

Kristen Chamberlain said...

Fairy tales are fascinating examples of cultural creation and propagation. For example, the Brother's Grimm fairy tales were often very grim indeed. Of course, they were written in a very grim time. And the Little Mermaid... In the story by Hans Christian Anderson, the mermaid does not win her true love. In fact, she dies and turns into sea foam. But try selling THAT to an audience of parents with small children. "Yes honey, she DID just die and turn into foam. No, no, don't cry."