Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Petunia touchdown

Back at Augsburg, once again, and we're watching the Forty Year Old Virgin. I love this movie.
So: Sweeney Todd: Demon Barber of Fleet Street--there were moments that I detested and moments I adored. I extremely disliked the opening songs. They were stagnant and boring. Although the opening scene set the mood for the rest of the film, I felt the choice of lyrics for those opening songs were far too regular.
However, the rest of the film, as typical of Tim Burton, was highly pleasing to watch: both with the eyes and the ears. The colors and clever lines teased my senses. My favorite scene was, by far, the five minutes or so spent in relative dreamland of the three main characters, Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney Todd, and Toby (ias) the apprentice. It was a treat of happy melodies and beautiful, BEAUTIFUL shots.
I strongly suggest not taking your smaller siblings or parents with conservative values and/or watching habits to the movie.

Last night went well; although, I suppose it would have been better if I could have stayed awake the whole time. My sickness got the better of me and I passed out a half hour after the ball dropped. I ended up just sleeping at Mitch's because I was too beat to head home. We finally woke up at eleven, I went home, showered, popped in Inuyasha: Affections Touching Across Time (technically, Mother put it in for me, how kind!), and I fell asleep. I intend to watch it in Japanese again--with subtitles--to improve my listening comprehension.

So: Does God have a perspective? What is it? Is it an entity? Or can it be simply (or more complexly) an idea? Do you believe god (I will, from now on, refer to only the Christian god as "God", and for all other deity concepts--including the Christian god, as "god") has a world view that affects how it perceives the world? Who created the god?
Let's say that god is an idea and not an entity, as so many Westerners hope. Where did this idea originate? Is this idea bias? Why or why not?

I challenge you to examine--REALLY examine the god you refer to in conversations like this and others. Does it have a gender, even if you don't consciously try to make it thus? Does it prefer you over others in decisions concerning "fate?" How much power does it really have?

Mitch is bored, poor guy. I'll try and give him something to do.

No comments: