Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mixie's machine for socks and thongs

Mitch and I woke up at about ten o'clock, and then off we went!: to the new fitness center to work out. It made me feel so good, getting up and about quickly. Mitch rode the stationary bike and watched TV, and I worked on the elliptical again. Jennifer L was there, so we talked up a storm. It was really nice. I did get a headache from it all later, but I solved that with a few ibuprofen, lots of water, and a mug of green tea.
After working out, we both showered and then left for Grandma's: I'd left my favorite shoes ever and my ring's box at her house when I stayed the night a couple weekends ago. She rambled on for a while about school and such, and then we headed to Target to pick up a few necessaries. I got a new pair of headphones...I wanted to get an iPod strap for when I weight lift, because the silly machine won't stay put where I put it when I'm working on the elliptical (my underwear), but they were too expensive for my poor tastes. I got some more Wheat Thins, though, which makes me feel better about not getting something else that health-encouraging.
We went back to Augsburg and I frantically cleaned, because we had Tony, Brian, and Katie over tonight. It was a lot of fun: WarioWare (of course), Beerfest (which I hate), and Guitar Hero (2). We also watched The Best of Tracy Morgan on SNL. I thoroughly enjoyed the Brian Fellow and Astronaut Jones skits.
I plan on starting the obscene task of reading the 160 pages of the Odyssey tomorrow. Maybe I'll read 25 per sitting (maybe per hour). That way, I'm not getting an overload, I can still do other things, and I'll still be done by Tuesday. Of course, I have other things to read and organize, but that's the bulk of it.

Here's today's bundle of intellectual stimulation for all my lovely readers:
In terms of education and the idea of a "proper" one, do you believe that structure must be enforced to ensure a good education? Or do you think that if all those silly child-like rules were thrown out the window, more room would be left for students to discover what they're truly passionate about and where they stand in the world?
That's my stance. Although I don't think that students should be given the right to do absolutely everything, I think that if given the chance to learn about what they love, they won't feel the need to rebel against things they don't think are important to their wellbeing or success. I think of all those people I knew from high school who may have been incredibly deficient in their English skills, but they were absolutely brilliant kinetically or mathematically. And what about those people who loved to read, write, and compose music, but detested group functions?
Looking back, I think high school as we know it is one big scam brought on by the trends of nineteenth century management, in which the managers (teachers, superintendents) believe they have the all-powerful knowledge and understanding of success, and all must follow what they preach. So in the end, all we have are a bunch of robots who think the best way to get ahead in life or enjoy life the most is to spit out the facts higher-ups want to hear.
Disgusting.

No comments: