Monday, November 26, 2007

Marry Marie, do it, Louis!

I snuck Mitchell's Vaseline into my bag today; I lost my chapstick, and I needed something to satisfy my lips, of course. He was a very patient man tonight: he gave me a nice backrub and made me cocoa (complete with marshmallow). The reason for his patience will be explained later.
Communications was eye-opening this morning. We got our final-project assignment and it's a doozy! A fifteen minute presentation complete with Power Point, activity, and eight page paper! Hefty enough, coupled with the whole idea that as a group of four (a grand group, which makes it much easier), we must come up with a new theory of communication in the field of media and culture. That's the category we all picked, and all four of us indicated we prefer the interpretive approach, so it'll be a really great project and experience, despite the intense work load.
We discussed gender and its effects on scientific thinking today in Scholar Citizen. Basically: Does the issue of gender differentiate how science is used? Is science in itself true or does the way each scientist views the world capable of permeating those objective barriers?
The religion test was finally today! I admit: I didn't write nearly as much as I'd wanted to on the essay portion. Again, the essay questions was worth fifty points and I wrote scarcely more than the paragraphs for the short answer questions, valued at ten points each. Not due to stupidity, to be sure! I, along with a few others I talked to after class, found myself unable to write as much as desired due to time constraints; I ended up only having about six minutes to write my answer to the essay question. I'm hesitant to see how he grades it. I think I did fairly well on the scantron. There were a few questions I guessed on, but not any more than what's normal for a test-taker. Overall, it could have been worse, of course, but I'm still not entirely sure on the safety of my grade.
I had theater lab tonight (I had two bowls of Froot Loops for dinner beforehand); we ran through the entire vignette on Satern's stage. I apparently missed the memo that we were supposed to be in full costume. I showed up in what I wore today, which was a purple striped shirt, blue jeans, and white tennies. I'm supposed to wear a red (I think it got changed to pink now) shirt, black pants, and black shoes. Woopsie! The group that went after us (the musical) definitely has a cute show. Annika and Becky play two sisters fighting over the same man. They're such dolls.
At 7:30 P.M., Becky, Karly, and I headed off campus for Vespers practice, which had actually started about two hours ago for the rest of Riverside. I ended up only having to be there for about an hour. And still I was sore! My arms had seized up from holding my folder and my legs were in agony from having locked my knees. Who had poor concert posture tonight? This girl.
It was such a treat singing in that big church, though. It's really a different experience. Watching Vespers is one thing; it really gets into your heart. I suppose although singing in it will be an entirely different matter, I'll still manage to spoil it for myself by being too critical about our performance. Sometimes I wish I didn't know any better.
I realized today that I got a lot done yesterday and this morning. I have most of my Scholar Citizen work for this week completed, and all the Management (let's hope she doesn't spring something else on me; surprise!). I have a bit of religion and communications reading to do; I can do all that Wednesday since my meeting with Becky and Emily about Honors alumni got postponed until next week.
I got to talk to Mom tonight, which was nice. It's always a little reprieve getting to connect with her; especially if it's nightly, or at least daily, even if for only a little bit. I like to recognize a period in my day where I do something that's solely for my pleasure and not just to keep ahead in work or do well in class. And a lot of the time, that little reprieve is still a learning experience. I suppose, though, that everything is a learning experience in some fashion or another.
Here's something to think about: It was Christianity, not Euro-American inclinations, that equated belief with truth. American Indians, instead, acknowledge that the only truth available to them is their individual experiences. And even those are based on what they perceive them to be.
So here's the question: Is what you know (or think you know) based on your assumption that your beliefs, even if widely held, are truth, or that your personal experiences dictate the only quasi-truth you can absolutely "know," (although a better word might be "comprehend" or maybe "fathom")?
I'm extremely tired and don't want to stay up too late tonight. I think I'll shoot for in bed by 11:30; I still have a little Scholar Citizen to finish up and then it's off to the moon with the cat, cow, and I suppose a few sheep, which are much nicer to hug than cows. But not cats. I'd rather hug cats and sheep and maybe ride the cows.
Enough.

Men's choirs are my aphrodisiac.

No comments: